The Saint John Stone Church is losing its wing attached to the main church. The Church was completed in 1825 and was named a national historic site in 1987. The addition to the main church was done in the 1890s and isn’t designated or protected in any way. It is now slated to be torn down later this week. Another piece of history going, going … gone!
About Stone Church
In 1822, the Vestry of Trinity Church decided to build a Chapel of Ease to accommodate members of the British garrison and the increasing number of Anglicans living in the fast growing Port City. Stone Church got its nickname because the stones for the church were brought from England as ballast on returning cargo ships, though its official name remains St. John’s Church. The first service was held on Sunday, September 11, 1825.
Vi Stauffer liked this on Facebook.
Dave Hatfield liked this on Facebook.
Kellie Underhill liked this on Facebook.
Saint John Online liked this on Facebook.