Beginning October 2022, following detailed planning, a successful pilot program and extensive community consultation, the City of Saint John will roll out the new Waste Wise Program to all households that currently receive City garbage collection. The Waste Wise program will modernize and enhance the solid waste collection service for all customers by updating how and what the City collects at the curb.
The new municipal Waste Wise Program will include:
- Curb-side pick up for recycling.
- Free green and blue bins for the proper separation and collection of recycling.
- A free garbage cart for the majority of households for safe, clean storage and collection.
- Maximum allowable garbage:
- limit of one full garbage cart (approximately two large garbage bags)
- limit of two bags per by-weekly collection and one bag per weekly collection (for households that will continue to receive bag collection).
- Additional amounts will require the purchase of bag tags
- Curbside compost is an existing service that will continue to be offered under the new program.
- A bulky items pick-up service is also offered to all customers, by appointment by contacting Customer Service at 658-4455.
The new program is similar to those implemented in other communities, and is designed to benefit residents by a convenient way to recycle, extending the life of the regional landfill and helping protect the environment. It also enables the safer, more efficient collection of garbage with new helping-hand technology on the garbage trucks.
The Shape Your City Saint John community engagement website has all of the information related to the Waste Wise program. On the site, the public can find helpful links, frequently asked questions, and a place to share tips and tricks for recycling and composting. Over the coming weeks and months, the page will be updated regularly to ensure residents have all the information needed to make a smooth and easy transition to the new program.
To learn more about the new Waste Wise program, visit www.shapeyourcitysaintjohn.ca.
Here to help – For inquiries related to municipal services, contact the City of Saint John Customer Service Centre at (506) 658-4455, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us in person on the Ground Floor of City Hall, 15 Market Square, Monday to Friday (excluding holidays), 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.