The City of Saint John is pleased to announce that work to enhance road safety along University Avenue has been completed. Identified as one of the City’s Active Transportation Projects, the installation of bollards along both sides of the avenue to help protect cyclists and slow vehicle speeds, has been completed.
Bollards are vertical posts that create a protective perimeter along certain sections of roadways such as bicycle lanes. The installation of these bollards is the final step of the project on University Avenue that was undertaken to improve road safety and reduce traffic congestion. The new bollards will be replaced seasonally.
Other safety enhancements that were made to the area include::
- Reduction of the speed limit from 60 km/hr to 50 km/hr
- Upgrade of two crosswalks with lights
- Addition of protected, dedicated bike lanes
- Reduction in the number of traffic lanes(also referred to as a “road diet)
- Measures to reduce congestion near Millidge Avenue
Here to help – For inquiries related to municipal services, contact the City of Saint John Customer Service Centre at (506) 658-4455, email email@example.com or visit us in person on the Ground Floor of City Hall, 15 Market Square, Monday to Thursday (excluding holidays), 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Source City of Saint John